Summer Baby Quilts … Part 1

I gifted the first of my summer baby quilts last weekend to my sweet sister-in-law, who is expecting her first baby – a BOY! – at the end of September.

IMG_7845 with logo

 

The pattern is Hazel Hedgehog II by Elizabeth Hartman of Oh! Fransson and the prints are Cotton & Steel Basics with a few aquas and blues from previous lines thrown in.  After some marathon pattern writing and testing session over the last few months, I was really looking forward to just following someone else’s instructions for a change.

Cotton & Steel

 

 

Elizabeth’s pattern was great!  Easy to follow, concise, and error free!  I love, too, that she writes her patterns with alphabet letters and uses lots and lots of diagrams.  Just between you and me, I’m not huge on direction reading, so it was nice to be able to see assembly instructions at a glance.

IMG_7464 with logo

The blocks went together very, very quickly too.  Cutting probably took two to three times as long as piecing did, especially if I was chain-piecing.  I only cut and made one block at a time so I didn’t totally goof up the prints, but if I could get all the pieces cut after the boys were in bed for the night, I could usually manage to piece most of a block the following morning while they were eating breakfast.

IMG_7608 with logo

I kept the quilting fairly simple since I was doing it on my home machine – just some echo quilting around the faces and bodies, and along the seam lines.  I did go a little wild and quilt some fairly dense spikes over the over the “hair” portions.  I think it added a nice amount of texture without making the whole quilt feel stiff and over-quilted.

IMG_7835 with logo

And, because I was running short on time, I did attach the binding 100% by machine.  I attached it to the front of the quilt, gave it a nice, hot press over the top, and then glue-basted it to the back using washable Elmer’s School glue.  Then, I flipped the quilt back over to the front and using dark thread in the bobbin and light thread in the spool, I used my invisible zipper foot of all things to guide the needle to stitch in the ditch right along the binding crease … which worked out really, really awesomely.  I managed to neatly attach 95% of the binding on the first pass, which is a first for me.  I think this method definitely is worth further exploration in the future!!

IMG_7838 logoSo, there she is!  First official check mark for the summer bucket list!  Now, I’m off to try and finish my next magazine piece while my boys nap at {terrorize } my parents’ house!  Linking up with these linky parties this week too.  Happy sewing!!

 

 

| Filed under Finished Projects | Tags: ,

5 thoughts on “Summer Baby Quilts … Part 1

  1. I keep seeing this quilt design and really want to have a go at making one. I really like your colour choices too. x

  2. That is such a perfect baby quilt! And I think those are my favourite colour combination of those sweet hedgehogs that I’ve seen so far.

  3. Adorable! What a lovely choice of fabrics. This turned out really cute and so suited to a baby boy. I have recently been attempting to master that binding method myself. Congratulations on the news of a new nephew!

Comments are closed.